RCSB Protein Data Bank (RCSB PDB) enables breakthroughs in science and education by providing access and tools for exploration, visualization, and analysis of:
Experimentally-determined 3D structures from the Protein Data Bank (PDB) archive
Computed Structure Models (CSM) from AlphaFold DB and ModelArchive
These data can be explored in context of external annotations providing a structural view of biology.
September Molecule of the Month
Na+ - translocating ferredoxin: NAD+ reductase (Rnf) of C. tetanomorphum
BAZ2A bromodomain in complex with acetylpyrrole derivative compound 80
CryoEM structure of chitin synthase 1 from Phytophthora sojae complexed with the nascent chitooligosaccharide
Acinetobacter baumannii DNA gyrase B 23kDa ATPase subdomain complexed with EBL2888
Co-crystal Structure of Toxoplasma gondii Prolyl tRNA Synthetase (TgPRS) in complex with T35 and L-pro
Cryo-EM structure of the human Exostosin-1 and Exostosin-2 heterodimer in complex with UDP-GlcA
HIV-1 Envelope ApexGT2.2MUT in complex with PCT64.LMCA Fab
Specific covalent inhibitor (5) of ERK2
Transcription antitermination factor Qlambda, type-II crystal
Features & Highlights
Improved EM validation with Q-score
wwPDB validation of EM structures for which there is both a model and an EM volume will include the Q-score metric
Register Now for Virtual Crash Course: Exploring Computed Structure Models from Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning at RCSB.org
Learn how to search, visualize, and analyze CSMs alongside PDB structures using RCSB.org tools on Thursday September 22, 2022
Future Planning: PDB entries with extended CCD or PDB IDs will be distributed in the PDBx/mmCIF format only
PDB users and related software developers should review code and begin to prepare for this change. Entries containing extended CCD or PDB IDs will not be distributed in legacy PDB file format.
DNS name changes for PDB archive downloads from RCSB PDB
Programmatic users (ftp, rsync or https) should update scripts as soon as possible.
Improved EM validation with Q-score
Starting September 23rd, wwPDB validation of EM structures for which there is both a model and an EM volume will include the Q-score metric
New Position: Senior Front-end Web Developer
Join RCSB PDB to design, develop, & deploy modern web and data applications & complex user interfaces. Help accelerate research and training in biology, medicine, & related disciplines.
Developers: Switch to Search API v2 Before July 13
Documentation about Search API v2 is available. V1 will not be supported after July 13, 2022.
PDB Data Distributions
Explore PDB holdings by experimental method and molecular type, along with numbers for structures with experimental and small molecule data
Subscribe to API News
Stay up-to-date with web service developments and announcements from RCSB PDB
Postdocs and Scientific Software Developers
Join RCSB PDB to design, develop, & deploy modern web and data applications & complex user interfaces. Help accelerate research and training in biology, medicine, & related disciplines. Positions at Rutgers and SDSC/UCSD.
See new feature archive
- A DNA folding template and folding tutorial are available in English and Spanish at PDB-101» 09/27/2022
- Use Mol* to display experimental crystal structures in a color scheme comparable to the Computed Structure Model confidence measure» 09/20/2022
- Enter a sequence in the top search bar to search for matching PDB entities. Use the slider to include Computed Structure Models (CSMs) in your results.» 09/13/2022
- ~1 million AlphaFold2 and RoseTTAFold models now can be accessed using RCSB PDB tools» 08/31/2022
- Players match protein targets with drugs in this new game developed by RCSB PDB and CCDC» 08/29/2022
- A detailed key is now available to help understand this cross-section through an Escherichia coli cell.» 08/23/2022
- Build chemical drawings to search for small molecules in the PDB» 08/16/2022
- Congratulations to Akua Donkor for Understanding the role of pyridoxal reductase in pyridoxal 5’-phosphate homeostasis» 08/09/2022
- The Molecule of the Month creator will receive the I. Fankuchen Award at the American Crystallographic Association's annual meeting.» 08/01/2022
- National Coloring Book Day is August 2. Celebrate by coloring Polysome, part of The Biologist Magazine's Big Biochemical Colouring-in Series at PDB-101» 07/31/2022
Molecule of the Month
Quarterly News (see archive)
Announcements for Developers; New Structure Annotations; Award-winning PDB-101 images; and more; Education Corner on Python Scripting for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Spring 2022 Issue