Join our multidisciplinary team at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. Curate, validate, and standardize macromolecular structures from the PDB community. Participate in exciting projects with significant impact on the scientific community.
Biochemical Information & Annotation Specialist (Biocurator)
Deposition/Biocuration Services support Data Depositors who submit the results of their structural studies of biological macromolecules to the PDB. All data deposited undergo expert review. Each structure is examined for self-consistency, standardized using controlled vocabularies, cross-referenced with other biological data resources, and validated for scientific/technical accuracy.
Biocurators communicate daily with members of the deposition community, and annotate, publicly release, and update entries in the PDB archive.
For more information, see
- wwPDB biocuration supporting open access to high-quality 3D structural biology data (2018) Database 2018: bay002 doi: 10.1093/database/bay002
- The rewards of working as a data wrangler Science Careers doi: 10.1126/science.caredit.aaq0481
Knowledge and skills:
- PhD in Biological chemistry
- Background in 3DEM, small molecule crystallography, or macromolecular crystallography
- Experience with metalloprotein and small molecule data
- Knowledge of Linux computer systems and biological databases preferred
The successful candidate should be self-motivated, pay close attention to detail, possess strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills, with the ability to handle multiple projects, shifting priorities, while meeting deadlines. This academic position has state benefits and a faculty-level salary.
Apply at Rutgers: jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/84303
Front End Web Application Developer (Unit Computing Specialist)
The RCSB PDB web development team creates state-of-the-art web applications using data exploration tools and 3D molecular visualizations.
Responsibilities for this position are developing and maintaining web applications. This will include design, code development and deployment, testing, troubleshooting, preparing documentation, analyzing and refactoring existing application code in order to improve performance and functionality.
The successful candidate will focus on:
- Design and deployment of modern, scalable, reusable, and cross-platform front-end software.
- Creation of mockups and prototypes in response to analysis and evaluation of user requirements
- Refactoring and adaptation of legacy code to conform to our new architecture.
- Development of complex graphical user interfaces
- Debugging of web applications using browser-based tools and automated testing suites
- Familiarity with responsive, adaptive design practices using HTML, CSS, Bootstrap
- Any experience with backend services such as databases (MongoDB), REST, or GraphQL a plus
- Experience with TypeScript and WebGL a plus
- BS Degree in Computer Science or comparable combination of education and experience in developing responsive Web applications using current technologies.
While a scientific background is not a requirement, a willingness and ability to engage with scientists and scientific content, and any background experience in chemistry, biology, structural biology, or bioinformatics would be considered a plus.
Apply at Rutgers: jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/88001
Undergraduate Front End Web Application Developer (Summer Intern)
RCSB PDB is looking for someone to develop web applications utilizing complex graphical user interfaces. This will involve the coding, testing, troubleshooting and debugging of web applications.
While a scientific background is not a requirement, a willingness and ability to engage with scientists and scientific content, and any background in chemistry, biology, structural biology, or bioinformatics would be considered a plus.
- Any experience with database technologies (MongoDB, MySQL) and programming languages (Python, Java) would also be a plus
To apply contact Nicole Oorbeek at email@example.com.
About RCSB PDB
RCSB PDB is a world-renowned, scientific organization focused on serving technical, educational and other programmatic needs of scientific and research communities worldwide. RCSB.org serves more than 1 million users in academia and industry. The RCSB PDB development team, located at UCSD/SDSC and Rutgers, creates leading edge web technologies targeted for scientific and educational audiences.
About Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
RCSB PDB is located at the Institute for Quantitative Biomedicine at Rutgers in Piscataway, NJ.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 70,000 students and 23,400 full- and part-time faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Biocuration Team at Rutgers
Institute for Quantitative Biomedicine